(September 9, 2018) - The West Haven Youth Hockey Squirt A travel hockey team opened the 2018-19 season against Hamden on Saturday as part of the "Opening Faceoff" event at Edward L. Bennett Rink.  Seven different players scored goals and nine skaters had at least one point for the Westies as they defeated the Green Dragons 10-5.
West Haven opened the scoring 5 minutes, 44 seconds into the first period when Leo Mazuroski carried into the zone and fed Aiden Guarino.  Guarino's initial shot was saved but he pounded in the rebound for a 1-0 lead.  Less than two minutes later, Sean Studley stole the puck in the Hamden high slot and found Ethan Kelly who deked and scored for a 2-0 lead.  
West Haven erupted for six goals in the second period to take over the game.  Cameren Lipford scored just 21 seconds into the period with Ethan Kelly assisting, before a deflected shot snuck past Westies' goaltender Maddox LaFountain to make the score 3-1. 
Kelly then scored on a tremendous individual effort, weaving through three Hamden defensemen. Kelly fed Studley for a one-timer that was saved, but Lipford gathered the rebound and fired top shelf. 
Matthew Kelly scored from the left point off an assist from Mazuroski,  Studley fired over the goalie's shoulder in the slot with Ethan Kelly tallying another assist, and Gavin Coady capped the second period onslaught with a goal in front assisted by Lucas Iversen and Guarino.
Hamden scored a pair of goals to make the score 8-3 in the third period, before Ethan Kelly notched his hat trick by pouncing on the rebound of a Lipford shot. Jonathan Charbonneau scored the Westies' final goal with a laser from the point. 
Ryan Pniewski played well on defense for the Blue Devils and Rafi Treat skated hard on the wing.  LaFountain finished with 18 total saves in notching the win in net for West Haven.
The West Haven Peewee A travel hockey team got off to a slow start on the season, losing to Hamden and Central AA this weekend.
On Saturday, the Westies played Hamden as part of the Opening Faceoff and fell to the Green Dragons 5-3. West Haven trailed 3-1, rallied to tie the game late, but Hamden scored twice in the final two minutes to top the Westies.
Michael Madera scored all three West Haven goals, while Zach Goetze had two assists in the loss. Bryan Hong and Jacob Silva both played well in goal in the loss.

Zach Goetze against Hamden, September 8, 2018. Photo courtesy of Mike Madera. 
Hamden took a 1-0 lead 3:24 into the game, before the Westies tied the game with a power play goal by Madera off an assist from Goetze with 4:05 left in the opening period.
Hamden jumped on the Westies quickly with two goals in the first two minutes of the second period for a 3-1 lead, before West Haven cut into the deficit when Goetze set up Madera with 6:57 remaining in the middle period.
West Haven pressured and finally tied the game with 2:53 left in the third when Madera scored off an assist from Martone. The celebration was short-lived as Hamden scored 1:01 later, then added an empty net goal with six seconds to go.
The Westies then played hard, but a valiant effort fell short in a 6-3 loss to Central AA on Sunday. Madera led the scoring with two goals, Mike Page added one goal, and Goetze had two assists. Mickey Dowd added one assist in the loss.
The Westies were hurt by taking eight penalties in the game and trailed 2-0 after one period of play. Madera got the team within 2-1, scoring off an assist from Goetze just 1:17 into the middle period, before Central scored twice in two minutes for a 4-1 lead after two.
Madera, off assists from Goetze and Dowd, and Page scored 2:20 apart in the third period, but two goals by Central in the final 5:35 ended West Haven’s comeback attempt.
The West Haven Bantam A travel hockey team began its season strong against rival Hamden, with a 7-1 victory in the Opening Faceoff kickoff event for the 2018-19 season.
The team came out of the gate ready to play, scoring on its very first shift. Matt Morgan scored first for the Blue Devils, with Anthony Peschell getting the assist. After a strong first period, the Westies began the second period scoring in the first two minutes, with Peschell scoring, Sean Bosworth and Luca Ubaldi picked up the assists.

Matt Morgan scores against Hamden, September 8, 2018. Photo courtesy of Mike Madera.
Adrian Fielosh scored the next goal just three minutes later, with Joe D’Aurio getting the helper, and Dante Hardt scored the next two goals, both by being in the right place in the right time in front of the net. Hardt’s second goal was quite impressive, knocking it out of mid air with his stick. Cade Simone, D’Aurio, Ubaldi and Morgan all assisted on Hardt’s tallies.
Peschell and Fielsoh scored the next two goals, each of them getting their second goal of the day, with Ubaldi and Morgan getting the assists. Nolan Cole, David Brown, Joey Honcz and Jayden Spreyer all played well in the opening contest of the season. Michael Andreesen and Brendan Smith split time in goal, both making some key saves. 
On Sunday, the Westies fought a hard battle and tied the Junior Whalers 3-3 at the SoNo Ice House in Norwalk. Morgan scored two goals with Peschell getting the other.
Penalties hurt the Westies in the second and third periods of the contest. Ryan Bernardi, Mike Alfano, Colin Deane, Justin Pniewski, and Carl Murgo all played hard as forwards in the tied contest. Matt Wezenski was impressive on defense. Smith kept West Haven in its second game of the season, playing a complete game in goal.

(September 16, 2018) - The West Haven Squirt A travel hockey team improved to 3-0-0 on the season with a pair of wins this weekend.  The Blue Devils defeated Southern Stars A1, 7-2, on Saturday morning at Edward L. Bennett Rink.  On Sunday, the team traveled to Enfield Twin Rinks and defeated the Enfield Eagles A, 7-3.
In Saturday's game, the Westies took a 1-0 lead as Aiden Guarino jumped on the rebound of Ryan Pniewski's shot and found the net with Ethan Kelly also assisting.  The Westies made it 2-0 just over a minute later when Leo Mazuroski found Cameren Lipford with a pretty cross-ice pass.  Lipford's rising wrist shot from the left circle went just under the cross bar.
In the second period, the Westies turned up the pressure.  Pniewski's shot from the point was redirected by Sean Studley and Lipford tapped the puck into the open net 27 seconds into the period.  Studley came down the slot and wristed one home after Ethan Kelly's shot was saved at the 4:46 mark. 
West Haven scored a power play goal at 7:43 when Ethan Kelly put back Lipford's initial shot.  Just 25 seconds later, Ethan Kelly roofed a backhander for a 6-0 lead. Southern got on the board late in the period.
Lipford earned a hat trick when he deposited a nice cross-ice feed from Studley on a power play early in the third period.  Southern scored in the final minute to make the final score 7-2 in favor of the Blue Devils. Maddox LaFountain recorded the win in net by registering eight saves.
On Sunday, the Enfield Eagles scored first on a breakaway 5:27 into the game for a 1-0 lead.  Ethan Kelly took the ensuing faceoff right to the net and roofed a back hand shot to even the score.  Pniewski made a nice play to keep the puck in the zone with under three minutes left in the period.  Studley grabbed the puck and fed Lipford for a wrist shot and the Westies went up 2-1.
Gavin Coady's one-timer from Guarino made it 3-1 in favor of the Westies half way through the second period.  A minute later, a West Haven giveaway led to an Enfield breakaway and the Eagles closed to 3-2.  On the ensuing puck drop, Ethan Kelly hit Studley and the winger drove to the net and snapped the puck home to quickly regain the two-goal advantage.
The Westies made it 5-2 with a power play goal 3:47 into the third period as Guarino swept in the rebound of an Ethan Kelly shot.  Lipford made it 6-2 when he rammed in a loose puck in front at 6:37. 
Lipford later fed Matthew Kelly from behind the Enfield net and Kelly skated in and roofed a laser for a 7-2 lead.  Enfield tallied in the final minutes to make the final score 7-3. LaFountain got the win in net by making ten saves.
The West Haven Peewee A travel hockey team rallied in both games this week to play to a pair of ties, moving its record to 0-2-2.
Traveling to Norwalk Saturday afternoon, the Westies rallied from two goals down to tie the Connecticut Jr. Whalers 06 team 4-4. Mickey Dowd led the offense with two goals, while Zach Goetze added three assists.
Trailing 3-1 in the second period, the Westies got within a goal when Mike Page took the puck out of the corner, circled in front of the net and scored with 3:53 remaining. The Westies evened the game 2:50 into the third when Goetze sent a pass back to Bruno Martone at the point and Martone blasted a shot home.
The Whalers scored a short-handed goal with 2:06 remaining to take a 4-3 lead, but the Westies did not quit. Winning a faceoff, Michael Madera fed Goetze, who hit Dowd in front with 4.4 seconds remaining for the equalizer.
Goaltenders Bryan Hong and Jacob Silva played well with Silva coming up big early, and Hong making several outstanding saves in the third period. Dowd had given the Westies a 1-0 lead with 7.1 seconds remaining in the opening period when he scored off an assist from Goetze.  
West Haven returned to action Sunday morning against the Wonderland Wizards. Trailing 4-0 after two periods, the Westies rallied for four goals in the third period, including three in a span of 1:15 to rally for a 4-4 tie.
The line of Madera, Dowd, and Goetze combined for eight points, with Dowd and Madera each scoring twice and adding an assist, and Goetze picking up two assists.
The Westies got within 4-1 just 53 seconds into the third period when Goetze sent a perfect pass to Dowd, who did the rest in front. The Westies then evened the game with three goals in one shift.
Dowd scored his second straight goal when Madera hit Goetze, and Goetze sent another perfect pass to Dowd in front to get the Westies within two goals with 10:08 remaining.
Just 12 seconds later, Goetze hit Madera in front and Madera got the Westies within a goal as he scored in traffic. The Westies were not done as they evened the game 1:03 later.
Martone kept the puck in the zone and sent a  pass in front to Dowd. Dowd quickly found Madera in front to even the game at four with 8:53 to go.
After the goaltending of Hong kept the Westies in the game early, Silva closed the game with some big saves down the stretch. Haygen Axelrod, Jason Alling, Ray Heenie, Dylan Bosworth and Martone were stellar defensively in the final 15 minutes.
The West Haven Bantam A travel hockey team had its most challenging games so far in their first two weeks of the 2018-19 season this past weekend.
The Westies began a tough weekend at home tying the Southeastern Seahawks of Norwich 3-3. West Haven got the scoring started in the first period from Luca Ubaldi, with Anthony Peschell getting the assist. The Westies had a challenging second period, having to kill off a 5-on-3 in the middle of the period. They were able to keep the Seahawks off the board for the 1:40 they were down two players.
Just before the second period ended, Matt Morgan scored to put the Blue Devils up 2-0, with Peschell getting the helper. The Westies began the third period uneasy, giving up two goals in the first three minutes.
Morgan answered by scoring his second goal of the game at the 7:29 mark of the period, with Peschell getting his third assist of the afternoon. Southeastern was able to score with two minutes left in the game, with Brendan Smith doing everything he could to keep the puck out of the net. Smith played the whole game in goal in the tie, putting up a strong effort.
Kevin Gardner played his first game of the year, having two hits. Matt Wezenski, Sean Bosworth, Nolan Cole and Carl Murgo played well in the game for the Blue Devils.
Sunday brought West Haven to Ingalls Rink, the home of Yale University, to take on the Yale Bulldogs AA team. West Haven posted a 4-0 victory.
Michael Alfano had two goals back to back in the span of one minute for the Westies in the first period. Morgan scored in the second period with help from Murgo. The Blue Devils were able to add on another goal in the last five minutes of the contest as Peschell got in the goal column on the scoresheet, with Morgan getting the assist.
Those four goals proved to be enough, with the Blue Devils coming out on top David Brown, Cade Simone, Jayden Spreyer and Colin Deane all played well in the contest. Justin Pniewski did well after being asked to adjust to playing defense during the middle of the game.
Ryan Andreesen got the shutout in goal, his first complete game shutout of the season.​​

(September 23, 2018) - The West Haven Peewee A travel hockey team had a solid weekend with a pair of wins. The two victories allowed the Westies to improve to 2-2-2 on the season.

Danny Johnson helped lead the West Haven Peewee A team to a win over the Riverhawks A1, Saturday, September 22, 2018. Photo courtesy of Marie Price.
West Haven opened the weekend against the Riverhawks A1 team and posted a 9-2 victory. Michael Madera led the way with four goals and two assists, Zach Goetze added two goals and one assist, and Mickey Dowd had a goal and an assist.
Bryan Hong and Jacob Silva played well in goal, while the defense of Bruno Martone, Haygen Axelrod, Jason Alling, Ray Heenie, and Dylan Bosworth was stellar throughout the contest.
Trailing 1-0, West Haven took the lead for good with four unanswered goals to close the first period. Madera opened the scoring off an assist from Goetze 2:19 in, Goetze, scored off assists from Madera and Dowd 3:08 later, Brady Price scored on a backhander in front off an assist from Chris Consorte with 4:06 left, and Madera set up Goetze with 1:45 left in the period for a 4-1 advantage.
West Haven put the game away in the second period, scoring twice in the first 33 seconds on unassisted tallies by Dowd and Madera. Cody Rocchio scored off an assist from Connor Moriarty for a 7-2 lead 6:13 in.
The Westies won their second straight contest with a 6-5 comeback victory over New Rochelle Sunday morning at the Edward L. Bennett Rink in West Haven.
Trailing 3-0 in the first period, the Westies got within a goal when Goetze scored off an assist from Madera with 7:52 remaining, and Dowd converted a rebound of a Madera shot 3:20 later.
West Haven took a 4-3 lead in the second period when Alling sent Dowd a perfect pass and Dowd converted for a shorthanded goal 11 seconds in.  Just 4:26 later, West Haven scored again while a man down as Madera sent Goetze on a breakaway and Goetze niftly converted for West Haven’s first lead of the game.
The Westies took a 5-3 lead 47 seconds into the third period when Martone blasted a shot in from the point off assists from Dowd and Ray Heenie. Dowd’s unassisted goal 2:59 in gave West Haven a 6-4 advantage.
The West Haven Bantam A travel hockey team started off the weekend rough, but ended on a strong note.

West Haven Bantam A. Photo courtesy of Mike Madera.
In a rare Friday night contest, West Haven hosted the Wonderland Wizards at the Bennett Rink and fell 5-1. The Blue Devils got on the board first, scoring about 12 minutes into the first period with a goal by David Brown off assists from Ryan Bernardi and Michael Alfano. The Westies were unable to get any other goals in the contest, falling to a talented Wizards team. Penalties kept the Westies in the box and played a role in the outcome, having six penalties in the game.
Ryan Andreesen played two solid periods in goal, with Brendan Smith coming in the third period and doing a great job coming in cold. Sean Bosworth, Matt Wezenski and Justin Pniewski all played well on defense. Colin Deane, Kevin Gardner and Carl Murgo played exceptional on forward.
On Sunday, the Blue Devils found themselves on the road to the Terry Connors Rink in Stamford to take on the Stamford Sharks, where West Haven came out on top with a 7-3 victory.
Anthony Peschell got the scoring started in the first period, and Alfano scored just a minute and a half later, with the assist coming from Bernardi. In the second period, Joey Honcz dangled the goalie in front all alone and scored the third goal for the Westies. Jayden Spreyer gave Honcz a great pass from the corner to get the assist.
Luca Ubaldi scored later in the period, with Peschell scoring his second of the game just a minute later. Murgo was credited with the assist on Peschell’s goal.
The Sharks came out strong in the third period, scoring three goals in the first five minutes of the period to make it 5-3. After a West Haven timeout, Ryan Brenardi stopped the Sharks momentum by scoring a nice one-touch goal in front of the net, with Adrian Fielosh feeding him perfectly in front from the corner to get the assist on the goal. Matt Morgan put the game away with the Wesites final goal with a minute left, Peschell got the assist on Morgan’s goal and his third point of the game.
Smith played well in goal, playing a complete game. Dante Hardt, Cade Simone and Nolan Cole all played well at forward. The Blue Devils had a strong defensive effort from Brown, Fielosh and Ubaldi.

WEST HAVEN YOUTH HOCKEY. Courtesy Pat Fielosh.



​​WEST HAVEN YOUTH HOCKEY. Courtesy Mike Madera